Category: fatwas about fasting
The ruling regarding the one who masturbates in Ramadan
I used to masturbate in Ramadan in day and at night. Now – and thanks to Allah – I repented of that act. So, what should I do?
All praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds. Peace and blessing be upon whom Allah sent as a mercy to the Worlds, upon his Family, his Companions and his Brothers till the Day of Resurrection.
Regardless of the ruling concerning masturbation, which is stated in a fatwa before(1), I do not know that scholars disagree about the fact that the one who masturbates, does the other causes of ejaculation such as kissing his wife, embracing her or other acts, should not carry out an expiation, because, as a rule, there is no expiation [until there would be evidence to prove it].
However, the divergence lies in whether one should make up the missed day or not; and the soundest opinion is that masturbation, using hand or other means, do neither imply making up the missed day nor expiation. This is the opinion of Ibn Hazm, As-San`âni, Ash-Shawkâni and others, because, as a rule, the fasting is considered valid until there would be evidence that it is invalid. Actually, joining, by analogy, the masturbator to the one who makes a sexual intercourse is clearly different, because the intercourse is an act that is more serious than masturbation.
This is also contradicted by some traditions said by the Pious Predecessors, which bring evidence that embracing without intercourse does not annul fasting even if one ejaculates. Among these traditions, the response of `Âisha رضي الله عنها for the one who asked her by saying, “What is licit for a man to do with his wife in case of fasting? She answered “Everything except the sexual intercourse”(2).
She also said: “The Prophet صلَّى الله عليه وسلَّم used to kiss and embrace [his wives] while he was fasting, and he had more power to control his desires than any one of you”(3).
It is also reported correctly that Ibn Mass`ûd رضي الله عنه used to embrace his wife in the day while he was fasting(4).
In addition, Jâbir Ibn Zayd was asked about a man who ejaculated after casting a look, out of desire, on his wife, in Ramadan; does his fasting become invalid. He said “No, let him complete his fasting”(5), in addition to other authentic traditions. While we judge that the masturbator should not make up the fasting; the opinion of the overwhelming majority of scholars, who impose upon him to make it up, could be said by way of reserve.
The perfect knowledge belongs to Allah. Our last prayer is all praise is due to Allah, the Lord of the Worlds. Peace and blessing be upon our Prophet صلَّى الله عليه وسلَّم, his Family, his Companions and Brothers till the Day of Resurrection.
Algiers, Joumâda Al-Ûla 22nd, 1428
Corresponding to: June 7th, 2007
(1) Entitled: “The ruling regarding masturbation” fatwa number: 284.
(2) Reported by `Abd Ar-Razzâq in “Al-Mussânnaf” (hadith 1258). See “As-Silsila As-Sahîha” of Al-Albâni (1/434) and “Mâ Saha Min Âthâr As-Sahâba Fî El-Fiqh” of Qâdir Al-Pakistâni (2/654).
(3) Reported by Al-Bukhâri, chapter of “Fasting”, concerning the fasting of the person embracing [his wife] (hadith 1836), Muslim, chapter of “Fasting” concerning the demonstration that kissing while in fast is not forbidden on he whose desire is not aroused (hadith 2579), Abu Dâwûd, chapter of “Fasting”, concerning kissing for the fasting person (hadith 2382), At-Tirmidhi, chapter of “Fasting” concerning what is reported about the fasting of the person embracing [his wife] (hadith 728), Ibn Mâjah, chapter of “Fasting” concerning what is reported about the fasting of the person embracing [his wife] (hadith 1687) and Ahmad (hadith 23654) on the authority of `Âisha رضي الله عنها.
(4) Reported by At-Tabarâni in “Al-Mu`jam Al-Kabîr” (9/314) and Ibn Abu Shayba in “Al-Mussannaf” (hadith 9399). This tradition is authenticated by Al-Albâni in “As-Silsila As-Sahîha” (1/436).
(5) Reported by Ibn Abu Shayba in “Al-Mussannaf” (hadith 9447). Al-Albâni said in “As-Silsila As-Sahîha” (1/437) “Its chain of narration is good”.